It’s HOT! Here!

I’ve only been in Costa Rica for three days and already I’ve seen so much. I’ll start at the beginning. I arrived in San Jose around 6:30 Friday evening and spent a good 45 minutes standing in the customs line getting hotter and hotter in my long sleeved shirt. Other than that, though, my flight were good, although there was a little delay in Burlington when I presented my one-way ticket to Costa Rica at the check-in counter. Apparently you need to have a two-way ticket or a visa to enter the country, neither of which I had. But, a letter from the offices of Lindblad stating that I was working on a cruise ship got me onto the plane.

After I passed through customs in Costa Rica, I boarded a shuttle bus that took me three minutes down the road to my hotel. Best news of the day? Free international calls and free WiFi! So, after a shower to cool me down, I spent the rest of my evening sprawled out on my king-sized bed, talking to my parents and chatting with my boyfriend, Ben, who I really wish was down here with me.

I rose around six the next morning and meditated for 20 minutes, then gathered my stuff and went to checkout. The transfer guide, wearing a beige Lindblad polo was in the lobby to take me and four others the meet the Sea Lion. The drive was beautiful. Everything is so green and mountainous and every other tree is a mango tree! (I love mangoes). It took us about two hours to arrive at the marina where the Sea Lion was docked. On the way, we stopped at a bridge where we could see crocodiles basking in the sun, half-submerged in the water below. There must have been 20 or 30 of them!

It was so good to see the ship again! Almost like coming home. As expected I was put right to work turning rooms for the next group of guests. I was hot when I first arrived, but I got even hotter as the day progressed. It was actually nice being inside the rooms because they’re air conditioned. At around 3:30 the rope swing from the lido deck was set up and we took turns jumping off the 200 level into the warm, but refreshing Pacific water. I attempted to do a back dive, but ended up doing a belly flop.

With rooms done and swimming over, I didn’t have much time but to shower and dress for dinner service. It’s been a year since I was last on the ship, but everything from cleaning rooms to serving meals, has come back as if I had never left. This morning, after serving a 7:00 breakfast (meaning I have to wake up at 5:55) I made my beds as fast as I could, mopping my face every two minutes, then boarded a zodiac to shore. We were anchored right off of Manuel Antonio Park and I spent a few hours walking along the jungle trails and watching monkey’s swing through the trees. Back at the beach I was just about to get in a zodiac headed back to the ship when I spotted a GIANT iguana hiding in the shade beneath a tree. It looked like something from the prehistoric age. I quickly snapped some photos, then rushed back for lunch service. Not bad for two days in Costa Rica.

Today was another good day. It started off a little rainy, but by the afternoon, the sun was shining and the heat was on. After lunch I went ashore for hike through the jungle up to a waterfall and to swim in the fresh-water pools. It felt so refreshing! On the way back Luke, another steward, and I spotted a small crocodile not far from where we had been swimming… At least he looked content lying on a rock, basking in the sun. Back at the beach, I still had a little while before I needed to be back on the ship, so I practiced some yoga on the grassy lawn by the trailhead. It has been a bit tricky to do yoga on the ship because the boat rocks quite a bit, but I’m managing!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: